Rent Reduction

In March 2016, the Government announced a 1% rent reduction for social housing tenants as part of the Housing and Planning Bill. This legislation requires housing associations to reduce rent for their tenants by 1% for 3 years. It will affect the amount of rent and service charge most customers pay.

You may have recently received a letter from us telling you about the changes to your rent from April 1st 2017. On this page, you will find answers to some frequently asked questions about the rent reductions. 

Frequently asked questions

Why does the rent reduction apply to some customers and not others?

According to the 1% rent reduction policy, the following types of tenancy are exempt from the reduction:

  • Intermediate or market rents
  • Secure rents which are registered with the Rent Officer

If either of these situations describe your tenancy, you will not be eligible for the 1% rent reduction.

The reduction will be applied to all other types of tenancy.  

Why has my service charge gone up?

Service charges may go up or own each year depending on the level of service required where you live. 

Why did my rent reduction not happen in April 2016?

The requirement to reduce rents by 1% became effective from 1st April 2016.

However, the 1% rent reduction policy is complex, especially for landlords such as Leeds and Yorkshire Housing Association where many of our customers have rent reviews throughout the year. Now that we have had confirmation about how to reduce the rents and comply with the Government decision, we are able to inform you how you will be affected. 

How can I check the balance of my rent account?

Please click here to log in to MyLYHA, where you can view your rent account in real time. You can check rent statements, make payments, and update your personal details. Please note that if it is the first time you have logged in, you will need your Tenancy Reference Number (found on the letter we sent you or any rent statement) and an email address to register. 

How can I set up a Direct Debit to pay my rent?

To set up a Direct Debit conveniently and securely, please click here

What is included in my service charge?

For the majority of customers, we've included a detailed breakdown of what is included in your service charge on the last page of the letter we sent you.

The letter says my rent account is in credit, what are my options?

If your rent account is in credit and you pay by a method other than Housing Benefit, you have three options:

  1. Leave the rent account in credit and offset a payment at a later date
  2. Reduce your next (April) rent payment by the total amount you have overpaid (please check your rent account to confirm how much this is) to balance your account. You would then start your rent payments at the new amount from May 1st 2017. (Not possible for Direct Debit payers)
  3. Write to us to request a refund

If your rent is covered by Housing Benefit, we will be informing them of the change and they will be entitled to claim back the additional payment from us (if applicable) within six years. If this applies to you, you do not need to do anything and you will not be affected. 

What's a Deed of Variation and why have I been asked to complete one?

A Deed of Variation is a legal document that makes changes to your original tenancy agreement. We are asking all customers whose rent is currently reviewed at a time in the year other than April to move to an April rent review date. This means that in future your rent will be reviewed on April 1st each year. This will make implementing the 1% rent reduction more straight forward, and will mean that if you are eligible, you will receive your rent reduction sooner than you would have done otherwise next year and there after. It may also mean that any increases to your rent are delayed. 

If your rent is currently reviewed at a time in the year other than April, we will have sent you a Deed of Variation to complete. The only change this will make to your tenancy agreement is that your rent review date will be changed to April 1st. All you need to do is fill out the section on the back page where it says 'Tenant' and sign it, and then send it back to us, in the pre-paid envelope enclosed, for office completion. 

I haven't received a letter about changes to my rent. What should I do?

All customers have been sent a letter in the post about changes to their rent. You should have received this on or before March 1st 2017. If you have not received you letter by this time, please click here to send us a message and we will look into this for you. 

I receive Housing Benefit for my rent, what should I do?

If Housing Benefit covers the entirety of your rent and they pay it directly to us, you do not need to do anything. We will inform them of the change and they will begin paying us the new amount from April 1st 207. If there is a credit on your account they will be entitled to claim this back from us within six years. You will not be affected by this. 

If Housing Benefit only covers part of your rent and they pay this directly to us, we will inform them of the changes to your rent, and you will need to wait for your letter  from them confirming the new amount they will be paying from April 1st 2017. You will then need to adjust the amount you pay to make up the short fall. If you are in any way unclear about the amount you will need to pay, please contact your Income Officer to discuss this as soon as possible. Click here for contact details.

If Housing Benefit is paid into your bank account by your local authority (and not directly to us) it is your responsibility to inform them of the changes to your rent. You need to do this as soon as possible. If your rent reduction should have taken place sooner, they may wish to claim money back from you for the additional amount they have been paying since the time the change should have taken place. This will depend on the local authority and should be discussed directly with them.