Please read the the information below and click the links for more information on each of the following topics:
Contents Insurance - We only insure your home (including permanent fixtures and fittings) against structural damage. We do not insure your belongings. We therefore strongly advise all our customers to take out contents insurance to cover their belongings against the cost of loss due to theft, fire or flood. Unfortunately, accidents do happen, and they can be very costly to put right yourself without insurance.
The insurance we offer in partnership with The Royal & Sun Alliance is affordable for a range of budgets and starts from less than £1 per week. To find out more, please click here. However, you are free to go with any other provider. To compare rates between different insurance providers, you can visit a price comparison website such as www.comparethemarket.com or www.moneysupermarket.com
Immobilise - We recommend that you register your valuables for free on this police-recognised database to reduce property crime and increase the chances of you getting your valuables back if the worst happens.
Utility Suppliers - when you move into your new home, you must contact the existing energy suppliers to set up an account in your name and provide them with the meter readings as they were on the day you moved in. You can find out who your current energy supplier is here. You can also find out information about switching supplier and saving money on your bills here. For Gas Token Meters, you will need to credit your meter and then contact Robert Heath Heating Ltd, our gas contractors, on Tel: 03330 141000 to re-active the supply.
Your Responsibilities - as a LYHA customer, it is your responsibility to adhere to the terms in your tenancy agreement. Your Neighbourhood Officer will email you a copy of your signed agreement. Please ensure you read and understand this as breaching any of the terms in this agreement could lead to action being taken.
Our Service Standards - Here's a guide to what you can expect from us: Our Customer Commitments
- If you email, write to us, or contact us through the website, you can expect us to acknowledge this within 2 working days and respond within 5 working days
- If you call us and the member of staff you wish to speak to is unavailable, another member of staff will try to help you with your query, or take down a message to pass on on your behalf
- Our telephone lines are manned from 8.30am - 5pm, Monday - Friday. You can also contact us by clicking here or emailing: email@example.com If you require an emergency repair outside these times, you can contact our out-of-hours service on the same number 0113 278 3335 (if it is not urgent please contact us during our usual opening hours or by email instead)
- We endeavor to keep appointments but sometimes unforeseen circumstances can mean we need to re-arrange. We will always notify you at the earliest available opportunity if this happens
- When a member of the LYHA team or one of our contractors attends your home, they will show identification
Rent - Rent should be paid in full and on time each month. It is your responsibility to ensure this. Not keeping up with a rent is a breach of your tenancy agreement and will result in serious action being taken which can, in some cases, lead to you losing your home. Our preferred method of payment is Direct Debit as it is convenient and secure. To set up a Direct Debit, please click here. You can find advice on managing your money and information on who to contact if you're struggling to pay your rent here. You can also find benefit advice here.
Service Charges - If you live in a property with communal spaces such a shared enterance hall or outdoor space; you will be required to pay a service charge in adition to your rent, which will cover the maintenance of these areas. This will be explained to you as part of your tenancy offer. You can find out information about your service charge at MyLYHA (see below) or by viewing our factsheet Understanding your service charges.
Repairs - you can find all the information relating to repairs, including our service standards and how to report a repair here. Please read this before contacting us.
Community Safety - (also known as anti-social behaviour) is something we have relatively low levels of at LYHA, but we recognise that it can be a serious issue when it does occur. You can find out more information about our policy, how to deal with anti-social behaviour, and tips for getting on with your neighbours, here.
Your Local Area - For matters relating to Council Tax, bin collection days, recycling, and other local services; you should visit the website of your local council (see links listed at the bottom of this page). Your Neighbourhood Officer will be able to confirm which local authority your home is within.
- MyLYHA - MyLYHA is our customer log-in area of the website. You can create an account using your email address and your tenancy reference number (this can be found on your tenancy agreement, and will also be emailed to you one we have completed the paperwork for your tenancy). Once you have created an account, you'll be able to logon to check rent statements, pay your rent online, report repairs, and update your contact details; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! What are you waiting for? Click here to set up your MyLYHA account, now!
And finally, THANK YOU - thank you for choosing LYHA. We hope you are very happy in your new home.
Local council websites
Leeds City Council: www.leeds.gov.uk
Barnsley Council: www.barnsley.gov.uk
North Yorkshire County Council: www.northyorks.gov.uk
Craven District Council: www.cravendc.gov.uk
Scarborough Borough Council: www.scarborough.gov.uk
Kirklees Council: www.kirklees.gov.uk